Tuesday 10 September 2013

Travel Tuesday - The Comores

I typically never win competitions.
In 1998, Standard Bank Voyager had a competition to win Voyager points. If your credit card's last 3 digits were the same as the winning score, you had to send your name in to the hotline.
I won the points and with them chose to go to the Comores.

My first island holiday with my boyfriend at the time, Henri.

The Comores is such a small island that you can take a day tour around the whole island. It came to be due to a volcanic eruption and you will see a lot of black rock - old lava.

We met a man who lived in a baobab tree - but he wouldn't let us take any photos.
We visited a crater full of water that changed colour from green, to blue to brown. The locals believed it had magical powers and that there was a city submerged under the water. They believed that you should throw a rock into the crater and make a wish.
When the city was able to rise up from the crater they would make your wish come true as a way to repay you for your help.

Looking back at these photos and how young I was, it seems like I am looking at another girl....

These photos were taken before the days when I had a digital camera, but I have a few scanned images:

Sunrise on our last day




Photobucket

6 Comments:

  1. The beauty of making memories and pictures, right? I adore travel posts and this island is just super dreamy. Thanks for taking me on a mental holiday hun xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A mental holiday - I love it. :-)
      I love that we have photos to fall back on, imagine not having these instant snapshots?

      Delete
  2. Such lovely memories and photos. The Comores are on my list to visit one day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you talk to people, the Comores is not a popular destination spot, yet it is so pretty. I will let you know how it compares to Mauritius! :-)

      Delete
  3. I remember my friend going there many years ago too, and from then have been desperate to go! Your travel post has inspired me to write a few of my own - thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I look forward to reading your future posts. :-) But do make a plan to go - it is very pretty!

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for stopping by.