Tuesday 3 December 2013

Travel Tuesday: Italy, Venice

One of my favourite places of all time. 
The culture and the food. 
The romance of  the warmly lit narrow walkways.
Venice is a place for lovers.

Venice is also listed as a World Heritage Site.
Venice is built on wooden piles and is prone to flooding on Spring time.
When travelling through the canals on gondola - the water and algae marks the tideline over many seasons.
I have heard many people say that Venice is a very dirty city, but while there we saw no dirt or refuse and there was no small from the canal water. Perhaps my nose was frozen off! 

Even the worst weather of our holiday;  -5 degrees Celcius ("This weather is so unusual", say the locals) with icy wind and slushy snow could not deter me from falling in love with this city.

Bridge of Sighs
The prisoners walked across this bridge to be hung and it is said that even now you can still hear the sighs of the long dead.

Santa Maria della Salute
A very popular cathedral - Saint Mary of Health -  presiding over the Grand Canal, it was built as a thank you for those who survived the Plague in the 1600s

Pigeon Whisperer
Have a bag of bird food in your hand and before you can say tweet - the birds bombard you. 
It felt like they were everywhere and yet when you see the photos, it isn't the same as the Hitchcock scene you imagined it to be

Food? Food, food, food, food!

The Grand Canal


Masks

We trawled the dimly lit streets looking for the "perfect mask". I found a black lace mask in the visage of a cat, but the shop was closed. I was beginning to despair when I came across a silver and blue mask. I have never worn it. But I will one day!

At the end of the day after getting extremely lost in the maze of narrow streets, we found our way to a cosy little coffee shop and ordered Cappucinos to warm up. Sitting inside the restaurant and watching the snow gently falling outside I remember thinking that 1 day I would return for my honeymoon.
Making our way to our collection point - the Belltower, I had to stop and take this photo. It took a few tries with my little point and shoot - I had to try to stand very still so as to avoid the camera shake. I eventually managed to capture the warm glow that I always associate with Venice in my head.

The snow was falling and all around us, the sounds of the city were muted - lending to the air of romance and magic.

St Mark's Campanile


Photobucket

6 Comments:

  1. Your description of you sitting in the café drinking cappuccino watching the snow fall sounds just perfect. My Mum fell in love with Venice; I would love to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jealous!!!!
    This is on my bucket list!!!
    Maybe one day for my 1 year wedding anni! (pffft look at me planning my 1st wedding anni and I'm not even engaged yet! whahaha)
    http://johced-ourjourneytoeverywhere.blogspot.com/
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1 year wedding anniversary! Talk about forward planning.
      Nothing wrong with being organised and having a goal! ;-)

      Delete
  3. Your writing is impeccable, I literally felt like I was there, thanks for the mental vacation. Gorgeous pictures too ;)

    Meg | MeghanSilva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely compliment - thank you very much Meghan! xxx

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for stopping by.